Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday -even on Saturday & Sunday. ** We will start a NEW WEEK of entries on EACH MONDAY ** Now there is no excuse to not post, because you can pick your own day of the week!! ~~~~~~ Help share Make-Do-ness with all our Internet Friends.~~~~~~

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What is Make-Do and Where Did It Come From?

At Make-Do Mondays, we discuss how we’re simplifying, downsizing, repurposing, buying used, and using what we’ve got.

It’s a carnival celebrating creative problem-solving, contentment, patience and ingenuity. 

To participate, share your own make-do solution in the comments or write up a Make-Do Mondays post at your blog, then return here to link via MckLinky. 


Enjoy others’ ideas by clicking on the participant's names.

***888888888888888888888888***

This is the first post for Make-Do Monday, prepared by Ann Kroeker on December 29th 2008, this is the beginning of Make-Do Mondays!!

In this fragile economy, I thought it might be informative (and a little entertaining) to share all the ways we’re making-do.

So I’m launching the Make-Do Mondays carnival.

makedomondays

You can borrow the Make-Do Mondays button if you participate. Simply document and explain how you’re making-do, then pop back over here and use the comments and/or Mr. Linky to let us know.


Here is the post that started it all:

Posted on December 29, 2008  by Ann Kroeker
This is what made me think of it:

flossinnards

About a month ago, I bought the cheapest floss in the dental care aisle.

The plastic box fell apart the first time I used it.

It was bedtime, but in spite of my grogginess, I tried to stick the roll in place, pop the top back on and click it back together. It kept falling apart.

Now that I’m awake and thinking through ways to make-do, I realize that I should have duct taped it. Instead, aggravated, I gave up and tossed it.

But I didn’t toss the innards. I did have enough focus to realize I could make-do with what was left. Since then, every night, I have to unroll the strand from the roll by hand and hold the metal piece in two fingers to slice it off. The first few nights I would drop it on the bathroom counter and chase after the floss as it unrolled like a ball of yarn.

Winding it back up, I’d question if maybe I was a being a little too frugal:

Maybe I should toss this and buy a new one? After all, I could just use this roll to slice cake. That’s making-do, too. I should just purchase a name-brand floss and stop being so cheap.

Then my fingers figured out how to handle the roll and now it’s fine.

Besides, it’s not so much about the floss.

Now it’s the principle of the thing.

It’s about making-do.

Now it’s your turn. How are you making do?

Write about it. Photograph it. Post a YouTube demonstrating it.

Have a little fun and join Make-Do Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers